Wednesday, December 2, 2009

2 December GOALS

Well, it either arrives today or I threw over $100 in the toilet. *sigh*

What an exciting ride. Exhausting, but exciting. Back at the end of October when this thing started, I thought it would be easy. Words have never been a problem for me, and my word counts can be quite impressive when I set my mind to it. Piece of cake, I told myself.

I really shouldn't lie to me like that.

Last time I had to spew, I didn't have my beloved totally incapacitated, he could drive, we didn't have doctor appt's over 100 miles away, and the demands on my time, while annoying, were much less demanding. I was also younger---and yes, that is a factor.

This time, my tenacity got a workout.

On 5 November, I did the Nobody Writes It Better blog with a piece entitled "Can't Never Did Anything---And Other Mom-isms where I told everyone in the 2007 group---and anyone who stopped in to read the blog---about the challenge. Very public forum. No way out but failure. I don't do failure.

Kate's blog at the Ruby-Slippered Sisters mentions fear of success. Ah, I know that one. What if I can't maintain? What if it's a fluke? And all the other what ifs that plague the newly accepted/published/contracted writer. Or the one who, like me, would rather not take a chance on any of those what ifs coming true. I know I can write well. But to make it only to screw it up? Nah. Not for me.

This challenge changed that. I CAN do this. I won't fail. I can meet deadlines and pull dialogue out of a sinus stuffed brain. (Not necessarily good dialogue, mind you!)

So to both Kate and Christine I say thank you. Had you not taken me up on my challenge, I would not have learned several much needed lessons. I offered the challenge to push you to achieve your goals, but got so much more out of it than ever anticipated. And I owe it to you.

Now, this will be the last daily post for now. Once the holiday's are over, if you are interested, we can do this again for revisions. Goals are good things, and having someone to whom you are answerable---even in the loosest sense---has proven useful. So let me know what you think. Until then, I wish you the joy and peace and love that are the foundation of the Christmas season.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Here's to your MS landing safely in the hands of the RWA officers and to the pages going to great judges. I will see you in the New Year!

Congratulations!! You did it... whew.

Gwynlyn said...

I just checked the tracking. It arrived at 8:59 this morning! YAY!!! So glad I didn't fork over the extra $ to guarantee delivery by 10:30 a.m. *G*

And thank you, thank you, thank you. I couldn't have done this without both of you!!!

See you next year!!!

Christine said...

Congratulations on getting it in--now back to revising. See you next year!!